The Institute of Environmental and Water Studies (IEWS) at Birzeit University (BZU) was established in September 2007 as a successor to the Water Studies Institute which was established in 2001; to contribute to the capacity building of the human resources working in the Palestinian water and environmental sectors. The decision to establish the IEWS came as a result of the severe conditions that the Palestinian water and environmental sectors pass through, which require a multidisciplinary approach for addressing them. As such, the IEWS has direct links with the various faculties, institutes and centers of the university that support the institute in the implementation of its various activities.
Contributing to environmental protection and improving the utilization of water resources through education, training and research within the framework of local and international partnerships.
- Offering graduate study programs.
- Conducting research projects and short-term training.
- Supporting the activities of the related governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Providing consultancy services to the water and environmental sectors.
IEWS offers the following masters programs:
- Master program in Water and Environmental Engineering: this program admits holders of bachelor degree in Civil, Chemical or Mechanical engineering, or any specialization that the program deems appropriate.
- Master program in Water and Environmental Sciences: this program admits holders of bachelor degree in Natural Sciences (Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Geology and Environmental Sciences), Agricultural Sciences, or any specialization that the program deems appropriat